It's a little strange to be sharing a soup recipe in July, I suppose. There are some of you will set this aside for the winter, but soup's an all-year-round dinner for me. It's not what I reach for in the middle of the day when I'm sitting outside in the sun. But at night, when I'm cozied in for the evening, soup is comforting - especially on those nights up here where things really cool down.
I made this soup when I was doing a cleanse a couple years ago, and then I forgot about it. I remembered it when I did the cleanse this time, and now, with a few modifications, it has become a staple of our diet.
The coolest thing about it is that - for the most part - it's incredibly seasonal. All the veggies in this pot came from the farm CSA that we got while we were housesitting.
Broccoli Arugula and Squash Soup
Adapted from GOOP
One onion, chopped
One head broccoli, chopped
One zucchini, chopped
One summer squash, chopped
4 cups vegetable broth
One can coconut milk
Two cups arugula
Salt and pepper to taste
1. In large pot over medium heat, saute onions in olive oil with salt and pepper for 3 - 5 minutes.
2. Add in the broccoli, zucchini, and summer squash and saute, stirring frequently, for about 10 minutes.
3. Pour in the vegetable broth and bring to boiling. Then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
4. Pour in the coconut milk and the arugula, adding more salt and pepper at this point if necessary.
5. Using either an immersion blender or a traditional blender, blend the soup until smooth. (If you're using a traditional blender, blend in small batches or allow the soup to cool before blending so that you don't blow the top off your blender.)
6. Serve with a little dollop of coconut cream (or sour cream or yogurt if you can do dairy) and a slice of crusty bread.
The blend of the broccoli and peppery arugula with the creamy coconut milk is absolutely delicious. And the zucchini and squash give it a little more substance.
I hope you enjoy!